Have you ever known a left handed person? I myself am right-handed and have no problem finding all of the products that I need because most are geared towards the right hand, but I have known lefties and they seem to struggle a little with some everyday tasks. However, they also tend to be more independent because they have spent their whole lives adapting to this right handed world that we live in. For that reason, let’s get to know these lefties a little more. Here are some fascinating facts:
1. Between 5-10% of the population are left-handed.
2. They are three times more likely to become alcoholics.
3. They use the right side of the brain the most.
4. They tend to reach puberty 4-5 months later than normal.
5. They make especially good baseball players, tennis players, swimmers, and boxers. Almost 40% of the top tennis players are lefties.
6. Of the 7 most recent US presidents, 4 have been left-handed.
7. Left-handed college graduates go on to become 26% richer than right-handed graduates.
8. At various times in history, left-handedness has been seen as many things: a nasty habit, a mark of the devil, a sign of neurosis, rebellion, criminality, and homosexuality. It has also been seen as a trait indicating creativity and musical abilities.
9. The word left in English comes from the Anglo-Saxon word lyft, which means weak or broken
10. Mothers who are over 40 at the time of a child’s birth are 128% more likely to have a left-handed baby than a woman in her 20s.
11. Although approximately 90% of all humans are right-handed, cats, rats, and mice seem to be equally split between right and left pawedness.
12. Studies have suggested that left-handers are more talented in spatial awareness, math, and architecture. Right-handers tend to be more talented verbally.
13. One in four Apollo astronauts were left-handed.
14. About 30 million people in the United States are left-handed.
15. Research suggests that left-handers are slightly more prone to allergies and asthma than right-handers.
16. Studies have shown that if a left-hander injures his dominant hand, he has an easier time learning to use the other hand than his right-handed counterparts.
17. The longest words that can be typed using only the left hand with conventional hand placement aresweater dresses and tesserae decades.
18. Left-handedness runs in families. Lefties in the British Royal Family include the Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and Prince William.
19. Left-handers are more likely to suffer from insomnia.
20. There is a day to celebrate being left-handed. It’s August 13th and known as International Left-Handers Day.
21. The Boston Strangler, Osama Bin Laden, and Jack The Ripper were all left-handed.
22. People who are left-handed are able to adjust to seeing underwater better than right-handed people. This gives them an epic advantage when playing Marco Polo.
23. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease conducted a study where they found that left-handers process emotions differently, and in turn they tend to get a little more angry faster than their right-handed peers. John McEnroe is left-handed and we’ve seen him very angry plenty of times.
How many of these interesting leftie facts did you know? I will be honest, I didn’t know most of them. I really had no idea that there were certain character traits that are more common in left-handers than right-handers. Now let us know which one is your dominate hand.
Be Sure To Share These Left-Handed Facts With Your Friends Below